APA titled Sports and Exercise Physiotherapist
Owner/Director of our Nathan Clinic
Sam is a Physiotherapist most interested in keeping you doing what you enjoy! Whether it is the weekend sport, a casual run, your Yoga sessions or staying fit for work, Sam puts your goals and plans first. You might even see him cheering you over the finish line!
Sam has completed a Masters degree in Sports and Exercise Physiotherapy, to compliment his Exercise Physiology degree. He runs the GLA:D program for Hip and Knee Osteoarthritis at our Nathan and Kelvin Grove clinics.
Sam has worked with a variety of elite sports people, including the Queensland Firebirds, Brisbane Roar Women’s team, Paralympic National Football team, Junior Men’s and Women’s national Football teams along with track and field athletes. He has a background working in the rehabilitation of lower limb injuries, lower back pain and exercise for health.
- Master of Sports Physiotherapy; 2018
- Master of Physiotherapy studies; 2013
- Bachelor of Applied Science (Human Movement Studies); 2009
- Dry needling
- Redcord trainer
- DMA Pilates
- GLA:D Program delivery for Knee and Hip Osteoarthritis
- A thorough history to understand your concerns and your goals of treatment
- Biomechanical assessment to put your injury into perspective with the body as a whole
- Identification of the source of your symptoms, including the likely causes
- You can expect to gain a thorough understanding of your concerns and the pathway for improving the problem!
- You are lucky if Sam doesn’t give you homework!
- Sam will endeavour to get in touch in the days after your initial appointment to check-in and offer time to answer questions
- Formal appointments may be arranged at various time-points during your progress to review any changes and plan the next step in the big picture.
- Often things change, so as you improve, the plan may change slightly as well, because everyone is different!
- He understands life gets in the way, but expect a phone call if it’s been a while! Whatever your progress, Sam will always like to know.
- Together with you, Sam will plan what boxes you need to tick to get you back to health.
- Once there, we can say goodbye for now!
- It brings Sam immense joy to see his patients in control of their pain or rehab.
- But you’ll know where to find him in case of something new or different!
- Track and Field Australian representatives
- Head Physiotherapist to QLD Firebirds 2020-2023
- Head Physiotherapist to Pararoos (Australian Men’s Paralympic Football team); 2016-2019
- FFA Physiotherapist for junior squads:
- Young Socceroos
- Junior Matildas
- Head Physiotherapist Brisbane Roar W-League; 2017-18
- QLD Fusion Physiotherapist; 2016-2019
- The Gap Women’s WNPL; 2016-2018
- Sam is mad about Football. A Leeds United fan growing up, he now enjoys the high tempo game of various world-beating teams.
- Teaching at the University of QLD in Exercise Physiology and Physiotherapy.
- He loves his cats but is a dog man at heart.
- Also, a burgeoning green thumb… with the limited space he has!
Sam has been amazing in treating my unsolved running injuries. Appointments are very thorough and he's highly supportive of my desire to stay active and fit. Highly recommend!
I've been in a few times now to see Mal and highly recommend his service for his clarity, patience and approachability. He is clearly highly skilled, and his great ability to support me towards improvement is the proof!
In just a few visits Mal identified and fixed my back and shoulder pain. My posture is significantly improved and thanks to the exercises Mal gave me I’m confident of staying pain free. Thank you very much!