Headache and Migraine
Understand why your head hurts and what you can do about it.
Headaches are one of the more common and debilitating conditions affecting our community. Incidence is likely to increase due to our sedentary lifestyle, work and study dominated by computers, and our addiction to mobile phones.
Physiotherapy can help with many headache conditions. These include tension headaches, cervicogenic headaches, and migraine. A cervicogenic headache is pain experienced in the head or face that is referred from structures in the neck. It is usually felt on one side and can be anywhere from the forehead and temple, to the eye are, jaw or neck.
There is a growing body of research implicating the upper neck spinal segments as contributors to headache as well as migraine. Tension in muscles of the shoulder girdle, neck, and face are also commonly involved.
How can physio help with my headaches?
At RHP Physiotherapy we have a unique set of skills to help with headaches contributed to by the muscle and skeletal system. These include
- Postural analysis.
- Biomechanical assessment of spinal, shoulder girdle, and whole-body movements.
- Highly skilled handling of muscles and joints to assess for muscle tension, movement restriction, or joint blockage.
- Safe and gentle hands-on treatment techniques to free muscles and normalise joint behaviour.
- Simple, specific and effective exercises to correct body imbalances and provide long term improvement.
- Expert education and guidance to ensure you understand your bodies needs and become empowered to a more comfortable life.
Sam has been amazing in treating my unsolved running injuries. Appointments are very thorough and he's highly supportive of my desire to stay active and fit. Highly recommend!
I've been in a few times now to see Mal and highly recommend his service for his clarity, patience and approachability. He is clearly highly skilled, and his great ability to support me towards improvement is the proof!
In just a few visits Mal identified and fixed my back and shoulder pain. My posture is significantly improved and thanks to the exercises Mal gave me I’m confident of staying pain free. Thank you very much!